When will your Prince come?
Growing up with a (rather annoying) sister, I have come across those moments in her life where she devoted some of her time to wish upon a star for Mr. Right. And i am no stranger to seeing the ladies sigh in hope as they watch the movies or even read books, wondering when this kind of prince charming would step into their life. And I really do not have to go far find an example of a girl dreaming about her future husband. All I have to do is turn to tumblr and I would find scores of women making posts on their blogs, totally devoted to the men they would love to see come into their life.
But the restlessness in the girl doesn’t end there. I have seen women who still wonder even after a man does make his appearance in her life. "Is he the one? Is he the man to bring me happiness for the rest of my life?" is the most popular question that women wonder.
I don’t know about how you might think but when it comes to the whole dating thing, I always say that one should always pursue marriage and that should be the eventual goal in a relationship that you get yourself into. But to acquire that kind of mindset, you need to feel secure about the character of the man that comes into your life. By God’s good grace, he will be a person that lives and leads life with Christ-like qualities but one thing that you ladies must remember is that he will be no god. That person is Jesus and no man can elevate himself to be a god. But if you find yourself in a situation where you are pursued by a man, you, as a sister and daughter in Christ, must take the time to evaluate the kind of person he is and the character that is embedded within him in order to come to that position where you are comfortable knowing that this is the guy would like to date and someday be married to.
As unromantic as this may sound to you, the most important thing that you must consider before entering marriage is- Is he a Man of God?
Being a man of God is such an important characteristic that every man should have and should also be considered as important by any girl in evaluating a man. Character reveals the true nature of someone as it is often said that character is the kind of person that you really are when no one is looking. As a girl/woman, you need to remember that God always watches your hearts and as a person, He wants you to lay down your heart with Him, in its raw and purest form. In doing that, you entrust yourself completely to God and He will reveal to you your character and through the Holy Spirit, guide you to evaluate the character of the man that you want to be with.
I know that most women consider their men and have them short-listed into their group of husband material in terms of how physically attractive he may be, whether he is financially stable and can provide for you now and in the years to come, whether your likes, interests, hobbies and everything else in between are almost similar to one another, and/or whether if he has a great sense of humor. These are some of the considerations made by most women and a positive response for all of them would most likely seal the deal for you but I ask you today - are they really and truly deal breakers? I really doubt so.
Today I would like to share with you some considerations which essentially should be the deal breakers if you cannot confidently answer them.
- Is he a Man of God? - A man of God always and will forever pursue Jesus. For him, there is no one higher in His life than Jesus and in His yearning to pursue Him, he will always take the time to pray and study the word of God. Because he always pursues God, his character becomes so full of Jesus and he will be strong in heart and spirit. He will be the kind of individual who isn’t afraid to lead and in his obsession for God, he will always lead you towards Christ as well.
- Does he love Jesus more than he loves you? - As strange as this may sound, this is a characteristic that you should always look for in a man. Why? Because as a man - he is so full of limitations, but Christ is someone with an unlimited supply of everything that you can dream of. When he loves Christ more than he loves you, he will be able to love you so purely and freely and that love, he has for you, will only keep on growing stronger by the day.
- Does he love you more than he loves himself? - Selflessness is always better than selfishness. He will always be the kind of person to lift you up and make sure that you are safe and happy even at a cost to himself.
- Follow the leader. Who is His leader? - "Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into a pit?" (Luke 6:39). Who does he follow? Does he follow Jesus who is always steady and secure in his ways or does he follow a god that will lead him to a pit? To be in submission to Christ, He will always place himself under authority of Christ, the church and other godly people who are there to look after him, encourage and lift him up. If a man has no authority over him, he is most likely to be a dangerous person.
- What is it that ticks him off and makes him angry? - Any man may be stirred to a point of anger, but as a man of God it would either be anger for the righteous thing and if not, he will have the grace to repent of his outburst. A man who always ends up being angry over the littlest of things should raise a red flag in you.
- Is he a humble person? - Humility is such a wonderful characteristic and it will always be there to serve Christ and you well for as long as he lives.
- What are his fears? - Fear is something that is present in all men and if there is a man who claims that he does not fear anything then he isn’t a man of character. It is the humble response to fear that makes a man want to trust in God all the more and in that, He will always have the strength and courage to lead himself and you in the most fearful episodes in your life.
- Repentance is golden - No man is perfect except for God and a man of true character will never be perfect. Rather he will be someone who will come forward and admit that he isn’t perfect. This act of repentance and courage is something that builds up the character of a man.
Nothing of this world stays forever. Job security is never truly secure, the smooth and glowing skin you have will end up wrinkled and coarse and the romance may fade over time but a man of God will always be a steady man of character who will always pursue God for the rest of his life and will hold his hands with you in that journey and lead you to God as well. If you, as a sister in Christ, can be confident of the above in a man, then you have found yourself a treasure to cherish.
Ladies! Nothing should be more attractive to you in a man than His earnest love for Christ.